BOSTON GLOBE BICYCLE SIDECAR QUESTION

I have an antique Bik-Kar. It is from the 1930-1940 era. It has on the side of it:

The Boston Globe
Morning - Evening - Sunday
Bik-Kar
Mfg by Bik-Kar Co. Worcester Mass

It is a one wheel cart that attatched to a bike to hold newspapers that the paperboy delivered. I can find nothing about this item anywhere. Can you please help me?

Your item would be called a newspaper bicycle sidecar. One was available for sale in June of 2008 via Craigslist in the Boston area for $175. The owner stated that it was his in the 1950's. I also found another reference of this being from the early 1950's. I found a picture of one and I agree. You are correct in that there is no readily available information on Bik-Kar Co. All indications are that this was a regional item. I cannot find another sidecar like this associated with any other newspaper. The fact that the Mfg was located in Mass supports this theory. That being said, the sidecar would have mostly local appeal. The fact that it is large and not readly displayable creates a smaller market for it. I would think that the $175 asking price was reasonable, if not a bit on the high end. However, I could see a mint one bringing more. Regional newspaper collectibles are not high on the antiques food chain, however, sentiment is high to those who worked or delivered for the papers. Get 2 sentimental people at an auction and you can throw estimates out the window. ***** I have since received an E-mail that there is also a blue colored version of this side-car.

Comments

john kupa said…
Hi my greatgrandfather is the one who made the bik kar company and he made them in his basement please tell me if you are selling this?
Anonymous said…
I have a Buddy-kar made by the Bik-Kar co.It is a motorized a folds into a potable scooter
Made in the late 1960's
john kupa said…
Where are you located? I would like to see some pictures of it if you wouldn’t mind.
Unknown said…
I just got one that has "Newsday" on the side. I am missing the cart part, but the metal bin portion is in very good condition.
J.C. said…
Hello do you still have the Boston globe new bicycle side box ? John
Unknown said…
I have one of these sidecars
It was my brothers and has been in my family since the 1950’s
Anonymous said…
John kupa. I have a bik car side car
617 388 9220

Popular posts from this blog

Denkert Signature Model Baseball Gloves - Ultimate Resource

STARKIE'S JOLLY NIGGER BANK - ORIGINAL IDENTIFIED v. OLD REPRODUCTION