LeMieux China - 24kt Gold Decorated Dinnerware

Can you please help me identify and value this set of china?

Your pieces are marked "LeMieux China" which is a mark that not much is known about. I will say that it has been incorrectly  attributed to being manufactured in France, Bavaria or Germany. I believe whomever used the "LeMieux" mark was at a minimum a China Decorating Company and quite possibly made some of their own pieces. Either way, the pieces were manufactured in the U.S.A. and not imported as blanks. There are several indications that the company was located in Chicago or the Chicago area. The plates you have are very similar to work done by Pickard China which was located in Antitoch, Ill. I would say these date to the 1940's. The motif depicts people in traditional 18th century life and attire. Your grouping is worth several hundred dollars to the right person. A similar grouping was pieced out on E-bay, but, the seller, I'm sure, unintentionally attributed the china as being made in France and the factory being destroyed in WWII. With that story being believed true, I think it elevated value beyond it's true value

The LeMieux mark is found in the Shawnee Pottery: The Full Encyclopedia by Pamela Duvall Curran. There is no information that I could find in the book giving more information. 









Comments

Patricia Roth said…
It was actually made in America by Abington pottery. I have had many pieces in the last 40 years. I also have currently several lamps with the same motifs in gold trim.
douglas wagner said…
Hello. At least you realized it wasn't made in France. 20 years ago I handled an estate near Midway airport, where their father worked at the factory, which they said was located near Ford City. They had tons of lamps clocks, and heavily gilt jars bowls etc. I still have several pieces. But my favorites were a pair of large wedding vases with elaborately painted ethnic motifs. If you would like I can send you a picture of the vases, I think they are very unique, and am still enjoying them. you can email me at oakgrape@aol.com if you would like to see a picture of them

Popular posts from this blog

Denkert Signature Model Baseball Gloves - Ultimate Resource

STARKIE'S JOLLY NIGGER BANK - ORIGINAL IDENTIFIED v. OLD REPRODUCTION